Fast Swimming

 

Fast swimming is about:

1 – Reducing Drag, staying as Streamlined as possible.

2 – Having as Little Disruption of your Velocity & Streamline as possible when Breathing.

3 – Generating Maximum Power.

4 – Having that Power push you Forward, rather than using the energy to lift your head up.

5 – Being Good at the “Non-Swimming” parts of Swimming.

6 – Having the Necessary Endurance.

Facts you need to know:

1 – Drag Increases Exponentially with Increase in Speed. Thus the little lapses that you can get away with in a 59:00 100 Free will absolutely keep you from swimming a 52:00 100 Free.

2 – At any level of Swimming, The Fastest Swimmers take the Fewest number of Strokes per Lap.

3 – How fast you swim is a result of How far you go with each Stroke (Stroke Length) multiplied by How Fast you Turn your Arms over (Stroke Rate).

4– The First Genius of Great Swimmers is how Far their Bodies Travel every time they take a Stroke, Not how fast they Stroke.
– In comparing the 1984 Olympic Trials to the faster 1996 Olympic Trials, in 10 of 11 events, the faster times in 1996 were a result of Greater Stroke Length NOT Stroke Rate.

5– The Second Genius of Great Swimmers is Not that they are the most Powerful swimmers, but that they slip through the water the most efficiently and the easiest.
– In the Men’s 100 Freestyle 1992 Olympic Trials, The Finalist produced 16% Less Power than the Consolation Swimmers.

6- Because the Resistance/Drag of water is so great, only 10% of your energy goes toward pushing you forward. The other 90% goes towards overcoming Drag.